When Fred Filbeck took a clerk’s job at J.D. Peterson and Company in 1924, he had no idea how much his life would change.
The company owned a general merchandise store, which also sold caskets. After a year on the job, Filbeck bought an interest in the casket division, went to school in Nashville, earned his professional license, and opened his first funeral service business.
Fred’s wife, Genoa, also became a licensed funeral director (the third woman in Kentucky to do so), and the couple served the community together. Soon, the Filbecks became known for their compassionate, personal service to families in need, which allowed Fred to build the structure that stands on the corner of the Court Square in Benton. This landmark building has housed the funeral home since 1936.
Otto Cann, who was married to Lillian Morgan, worked for Morgan and Heath General Merchandise and Caskets in 1927, which would eventually come to be known as Morgan & Cann Funeral Directors. In 1939, Otto purchased his father-in-law's part of the firm, and it became known as Cann Funeral Home.
Shortly thereafter, Fred Filbeck and Otto Cann formed a partnership, and the business became Filbeck & Cann Funeral Home. Filbeck & Cann operated under their direction from 1939 until 1952, when Mr. Filbeck died. Otto Cann and Genoa Filbeck then became partners.
Today, under the local ownership of Tim and Becky King, both licensed funeral directors, Filbeck-Cann & King still carries on the tradition of service that Fred and Genoa started so long ago.